D.E.L.E. Exams and Exam Preparation
For some students studying Spanish and mastering the language isn't enough. They also need an official certificate that's recognized internationally to document the level they have achieved.
D.E.L.E. – Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera (Diploma of Spanish as a foreign language) – is one of the most highly regarded certificates, both academically and in the business world. The diploma is issued by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport of Spain. The program is administered by Instituto Cervantes and the University of Salamanca, Spain.
At Ixchel Spanish School, D.E.L.E. preparation courses are available year round and you can begin your course whenever it's convenient for you. We have preparation courses for students of all levels, from beginner to superior.
The D.E.L.E. exams themselves, however, are given only three times a year, in May, August and November. If you cannot be in Antigua Guatemala on one of these dates, we will refer you to a D.E.L.E. exam center in your home country where you can take the exam.
The D.E.L.E. preparation courses are taught by some of our most senior and experienced teachers. Whether you take the D.E.L.E. exam in Antigua or elsewhere, we will make sure you're well prapared and pass the exam with flying colors. So far all of our students have passed and we work hard to maintain our perfect record.
Ixchel's teachers are all native Spanish speakers and have received extensive training. They have many years of experience teaching Spanish as a second language to foreign students.
Read more about our Spanish teachers
D.E.L.E. Exam Levels
The D.E.L.E. exam is available on six levels, from beginner to superior:
- Level A1: You demonstrate sufficient knowledge to understand and use common words and expressions, like asking and giving personal information and talking about daily life. You can communicate with native Spanish speakers on a basic level if they speak slowly and clearly and are willing to cooperate.
- Level A2: You demonstrate the ability to understand and use common words and expressions related to areas that are particularly relevant to you, like information about yourself and your family, shopping, places of interest or occupations.
- Level B1: You demonstrate the ability to understand written and spoken Spanish and are able to have structured conversations on an elementary level.
- Level B2: You demonstrate a solid knowledge of the Spanish language that allows you to communicate in everyday situations that do not require specialized terms.
- Level C1: You demonstrate the ability to communicate fluently and spontaneously in everyday situations that require a specialized use of the language and can handle a wide variety of topics.
- Level C2: You demonstrate superior knowledge of the Spanish language that allows you to communicate in any situation.
The exams include grammar and vocabulary, reading and listening comprehension, writing and oral expression. All parts of the exam are given on the same day.
D.E.L.E. Exam Dates 2017
In 2017 D.E.L.E. exams are given on the following dates:
Friday, 7 April 2017
Levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1
Registration Deadline: 15 February 2017
Saturday, 13 May 2017
Levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
Registration Deadline: 29 March 2017
Friday, 14 July 2017
Levels: A2, B1, B2, C1
Registration Deadline: 24 May 2017
Friday, 13 October 2017
Levels: A2, B1, B2
Registration Deadline: 30 August 2017
Saturday, 25 November 2017
Levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
Registration Deadline: 11 October 2017
What Our Students Say ...
When I first arrived in Guatemala 3 weeks ago, I could barely say more than "no comprendo" in Spanish. It's amazing how far I've progressed in the little time I've spent at the school. I now have the knowledge and confidence to participate in conversations with Guatemalans!
Equally important as the quantity of learning I achieved is the quality; I found my classes so enjoyable, my teacher understood my learning style as well as my need for a mid-morning coffee. The relaxed atmosphere of the school is something I really appreciated!
Samantha Smith, Australia
I had the best experience a girl could ask for, especially for the first time I've been out of the country alone. Everyone at the school, students and teachers alike, are so helpful with anything you need.
I loved my teacher Silvia, she and I got along great. She was very patient with me. My homestay family was perfect. They too were very accommodating with whatever you need.
I want to come back in the summer and do it all once again.
Desiree Cook, California, USA